External Email - Use Caution        

I am sorry; my previous email had a few grammatical errors that made it hard for even me to understand.

Hello all,

I have an issue with the procedure for dealing with a failed Talairach registration. Failed Talairach registrations happen quite often for us. I go through the whole procedure of manually registering as outlined in https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/Talairach_freeview. This never seems to work. Yesterday, I did some digging, and I am a bit confused about the procedure and how it even works. First, I should say that I am using FreeSurfer 7.3.2 on an Ubuntu 20.04 system.

In the step where we run

tkregisterfv --s tal_before --fstal

when saving the transform, I always assumed I should overwrite the talairach.lta file, since it can only save an .lta file, and assumed that recon-all would convert it to talairach.xfm. There is no way to save in .xfm format using tkregisterfv; if there is, I could not figure it out.

I realized that I am doing something wrong when I noticed that talairach.lta is generated at the beginning of the autorecon2 step and is also a transform to register to a different target. After running recon-all, transform.xfm does not update.

Separately, in the part where you check the registration with the command:

freeview -v tal_before/mri/T1.mgz -v tal_before/mri/brainmask.mgz:reg=tal_before/mri/transforms/talairach.xfm

T1.mgz and brainmask.mgz are always in register. Once you do a transformation on the brainmask, it will always be out of register. So should the command instead be:

freeview -v fsaverage/mri/T1.mgz -v tal_before/mri/T1.mgz:reg=tal_before/mri/transforms/talairach.xfm

Please correct me — I know I am completely misunderstanding things.


On Tuesday, September 22nd, 2026 at 1:05 PM, El_Duderino_422 <El_Duderino_422@proton.me> wrote:
Hello All,
I have got an issue with the procedure for dealing with a fail talairach registration. Failed talairach happen quite often for us. I go through the whole procedure of manually registering. 
I follow the procedure outlined in the URL. https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/Talairach_freeview. This never seems to work. Yesterday, I did some digging and I am a bit confused on the procedure and how it even works..

In the step where we run 
tkregisterfv  --s tal_before --fstal 

When saving the transform it saves in the lta format. The file that need to be replaced is talairach.xfm. There is no way to save in a xfm format; if there is I could not figure it out. The talairach.lta is generated in the beginning of the autorecon2 step and is also a transform to register to a different target.  After running the recon-all transform.xfm does not update. I followed the direction. 

Furthermore, the part were your check the registration with the command 
freeview -v tal_before/mri/T1.mgz -v tal_before/mri/brainmask.mgz:reg=tal_before/mri/transforms/talairach.xfm

T1.mgz and brainmask.mgz are always registration. should the command be 

freeview -v fsaverage/mri/T1.mgz -v tal_before/mri/brainmask.mgz:reg=tal_before/mri/transforms/talairach.xfm

Please correct me. I know I am completely misunderstanding things.