[Brainmap] TODAY 4/7 noon @ CNY149 (LOCATION: Conf. Rm A): M Dylan Tisdall on Prospectively Motion-corrected Anatomical Imaging

Adrian KC Lee akclee at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 7 10:43:58 EDT 2010

TODAY 4/7/10 at noon
NOTE: Conference Room A
149 13th St., Charlestown Navy Yard

M. Dylan Tisdall, Ph.D.
Research Fellow, Department of Radiology, HMS

Title:
Prospectively Motion-Corrected Anatomical Imaging: Available on a
Scanner Near You

Abstract:

3D-encoded MPRAGE and T2SPACE scans are used routinely to produce high-
quality T1- and T2-weighted images of neuroanatomy. However, because
of their extended duration, these scans are particularly sensitive
to   subject motion. We present our recent work on making these
sequences less sensitive to motion by introducing EPI-based navigators
and using the PACE registration algorithm currently used in fMRI
sequences. Our system allows users to perform motion-corrected MPRAGE
and T2SPACE scans and have their images reconstructed on the scanner
just as with the standard MPRAGE and T2SPACE sequences.

Prospective motion correction systems attempt to modify the scanning
coordinates "on the fly" so that imaging occurs in consistent "patient
coordinates" regardless of subject motion during the scan. Currently
most users will be familiar with prospective motion correction via the
PACE system for fMRI. In fMRI the scanner collects a succession of
volumes with similar contrast. As the subject moves, the PACE
algorithm attempts to prospectively motion-correct the imaging
coordinates by registering the most recently acquired image volume to
the first image volume. This gives an estimate of where the subject
was last located and the scanning coordinates can be updated so that
the image volumes are (ideally) aligned as they are acquired, instead
of requiring alignment in post-processing.

We have extended this concept to anatomical imaging by embedding
complete EPI volume acquisitions in each TR of the MPRAGE and T2SPACE
sequences. This can be done at no cost in scan time because both
sequences already have substantial "dead times" required to produce
their desired contrast properties. As in the fMRI case, our sequences
register the EPI volume acquired during each TR back to the volume
captured in the first TR using the same PACE registration algorithm.
We can then update the scan coordinates each TR to ensure that the
coordinates of the anatomical imaging sequence remain consistent with
the subject throughout the duration of the scan.

As these sequences are now available in Bays 3 and 4, we will discuss
some of the practical issues associated with their use by groups at
the center, as well as our future plans for the development of motion-
insensitive anatomical imaging.

Adrian KC Lee, ScD
Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 13th St., Suite 2301