[Homer-users] HOMer version 3.1 official release

thuppert thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 16 16:38:29 EST 2004

Hey all-

	I worked for the last few days to debug and document HOMer for official
release via the web-site.  This is the final release of version 3.1.  To the
best of my knowledge- everything should work**!!!   I fixed all the matlab
version 6.1/6.5 backwards compatibility issues as well as make HOMer PMI
toolbox 1 and 2 complient.  I don't think there is anything new as far as
content goes (depends on which version you are currently using- vrs 3.0 had
major changes).  I also think I got nearly all of the error traps in place-
plus anything anyone has told me was wrong that they found.

There is now a help menu associated with the program as well as a
Programmer's guide.  I'm working on these- they are not complete yet-  I was
going to put it in PDF and have a more offical manual- I just started that
today though.

One of the major changes in going to version 3.0 was I made it easier to
customize the GUI with additional features-  I'm happy to sit down with
anyone who wishes to add there own code (i.e. if there are TD features that
you would like to have...)  The tabs on the right hand side can be
configured to bring up different screens.  I can even set it so there can be
a time-domain screen under certain conditions (i.e. you loaded TD data) and
the same tab can control something else in anouther data set (i.e. CW
data)---  at this point, the sky's the limit...

I'm still debating on how to release it to the public- i.e. whether to lock
the code or not.  It is set up so people can add to the code with their own
features without actually giving full access to the actual code.  The
problem is the "pcode"- (the  pre-parsed matlab code that I complied to that
hides the actual scripts) is Matlab version specific.  For example, code
complied with V6.1 doesn't work on 6.5 and vice-versa (it almost works- only
a few features fail- which I haven't figured out the reason for yet).  Is it
worth it for us to hide our code when we disseminate it???

Anyway, the code is available on Monte in:

monte_001/homes/thuppert/HOMER/Version3p1/MatlabCode/

--take the whole HOMer directory!  (and keep the file structure or else the
help menu won't work right)

There is some documentation there as well-  I need to finish the rest first.
Make sure the WHOLE HOMer directory goes in your path (it doesn't correct
paths automatically- I never figured that one out).  The folder marker
sample data is some artificially generated data that I included to show the
data structure.

For those who are more brave/  the folders //Verson3p1/pcode6p1 and
//Version3p1/pcode6p5 are the pcode versions of the same thing complied for
matlab 6.5 and 6.1 (Unix- I'm not sure if 6.1 unix and 6.1 windows are
compatible wth each other either)-  These should work fine provided you use
the right version of matlab-  the matlab code works on all platforms that
I've tested.

--Ted

(**not everything may in fact work)

Ted Huppert, BS