[Homer-users] about extinction coefficients?

Ted Huppert thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 23 09:37:43 EST 2004

The extinction coefficients used in Homer are from:

W. B. Gratzer, Med. Res. Council Labs, Holly Hill, London
N. Kollias, Wellman Laboratories, Harvard Medical School, Boston

and are listed on the Oregon Medical Laser Center's Website:

http://omlc.ogi.edu/spectra/hemoglobin/summary.html

... clearly there are some subtle variations on this spectrum and I will
impliment David Boas's idea of allowing users to choice which spectrum
(reference to use)...  I'll probably put in some way to plot the spectrum
as well.  Look for that in the next release in a few months.  Currently,
its the values listed in the website above.

By default the Partial Pathlength correction is NOT included.  However, on
the Filtering>> Advanced Options field, there are two edit fields for the
pathlength and partial volume correction.  The  checkboxes next to those
fields must be checked to include these corrections.  This allows the
users to specify which PPF to use.  These are the corrections for the
first and second wavelength respectively  (...and possibly more if you
have such a system).

-Ted