[Homer-users] New Release of HOMer (NIRS data analysis software)

thuppert thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 29 18:23:43 EDT 2004

***************************************
Announcing the release of the updated version of HOMer, the PMI lab's NIRS
data analysis GUI.  The newest version (and archived versions) are avaliable
for download @ http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/DOT/resources/homer.htm

A couple of release notes:  (a fully detailed *.pdf is also on the above
webpage):

    I decided to no longer support Matlab below 6.5 (R12)-  there were too
many backward compatibility issues to contend with 	(including rewriting a
bunch of matlab built-in functions).  Since Matlab is now on version 7.0
SP1- I don't think that 	this should cause too many complaints- but if this
is an issue- let me know.

	Although, all the propietary code is still in Pcode (pre-parsed), I
released the actual *.m code for some of the 	filtering and averaging
functions.  (Some parts of which are still hidden).  But I figured, that
this code is 	nessacarry to properly publish on any work.   These are also
written as stand-alone functions and can be used 	independent of HOMer.  The
"house-keeping" codes are still parsed.

	Due to backward (and forward) compatibility issues on the part of matlab-
there are two versions; one for Matlab 6.5 	the other for 7.0.  The wrong
version will "mostly" work, but its best to download the correct version.

Known Bugs:

    Matlab CData has some Open-GL issues on certain platforms (including
Matlab 6.1)- as a result, the feature "Remove Data" 	as part of the main
plot window context menu may not work in some cases- when it doesn't work
its really obvious since 	matlab crashes.  If this happens, just don't use
that feature and things will be fine.

...Also, I will re-do the "User's Guide" with all the new features (etc) in
the next week.  The majority of what got added are listed in the release
notes and/or "behind the scenes" changes to the structure of the code.

NOTE:  Do not mix code from different versions or releases (i.e. properly
clear the mathlab path) or you will have issues.

Questions/comments/ or to report bugs in this new release- please direct
them via the homer-users at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu list server.

Ted Huppert, MS

PhD student-Harvard Univ.
Dept of Biophysics