[Homer-users] units for concentration changes in Homer

thuppert thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 6 11:46:18 EST 2005

Under the default settings for HomER, the pathlength  is not included in the
calculation of concentration changes.  This means that the default units are
actually [Molar*centimeters].  Only if the option to use the
partial-pathlength (and/or) partial volume factors are checked is the
pathlength included (calculated from the probe geometry).  It was done this
way since concentration is (quantitatively) inaccuraute without including
the DPF anyway.  This means that (unless these options were checked), you
need to divide the concentration changes by the pathlength.

Note that, not including these factors does not affect the oxygen saturation
(i.e. Hbo/total etc) since pathlength cancels (with the exception of
cross-talk if the factors differ for the two wavelengths)

To reference the Boas et al [2001 NeuroImage 13:76-90] paper, HomER applies
equation 4) but both "L" and "B" are being ignored unless the pathlength
info is provided.
.

For more details on DPF (etc) see:

Strangman, G, Franceschini, MA and Boas, DA. "Factors affecting the accuracy
of near-infrared spectroscopy concentration calculations for focal changes
in oxygenation parameters." NeuroImage 18: 865-879. 2003.

The "fakedata.mat" supplied is not quantitatively accurate (at least I
didn't intend it to be), I would say that a good NIRS change is more like
1-5% (dOD= 0.01-0.05) (at most!) and in concentration that's about ~8uM for
HbO2 changes (with reasonable partial volume corrections) [Boas et al.
2001].

%%%%%%%%%%%%
For the future version of HomER (to be released soon- hopefully), I'll try
to make these things more clear in the outputs.
I'm currently writing up the user's manual (technical report) to better
explain some of this.

Comming soon... (~ a month or so)

Ted Huppert, MS

PhD student-Harvard Univ.