[Homer-users] RE: Principal Component Analysis in HomER

thuppert thuppert at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 28 09:34:21 EST 2006

The PCA filters in HOMER remove the strongest N components depending on the
value entered (i.e. the dominant components of the spatial covariance are
removed).

You are absolutely correct.  PCA is designed to remove global changes to the
data.  If you apply this to breath-holding (etc), than it may have
undesirable effects (namely, remove the signal of interest).  PCA works best
for NIRS probes that are much larger than the area of functional activity.

The 3 PCA filters in HOMER differ only by what data is used to compute
spatial covariance.  The first filter uses ALL data (inc all wavelengths),
this will remove non-spectroscopic signals (i.e. motion artifacts).  The
first filter may be appropriate for this data.  The 2nd and 3rd filters use
optical density changes (per wavelength) or concentration (per Hb species),
these will remove global changes.  These are NOT appropriate for this type
of data.  (note- these filters can use separate baseline data to define
spatial covariance- its unclear if baseline systemic fluctuations are
(approx) orthogonal to breath-hold changes etc- the results are unclear at
best).  My advice is always to use the MINIMUM signal processing possible.

Note- PCA can also be used the other way to remove the lowest components of
the signal (often called a truncated SVD).  This has the effect of
regularizing the spatial structure of the data to enforce more global
changes and remove localized "noise".  This is not implemented in HOMER.
Although, the results would be very similar to regularization of the image
reconstructions.

Ted Huppert, M.Sc.

PhD Candidate
Harvard University: