[Homer-users] a basic question about installment

Daniel Kessler kesslerd at umich.edu
Tue Feb 8 13:40:34 EST 2011

Hi Hongyu,
     It sounds like maybe you don't have the signal processing toolbox for
MATLAB, which is a requirement for Homer.m

Perhaps things are getting confusing because you have MCR on the computer
where you already have MATLAB. Do you have another computer available that
does NOT have MATLAB where you could try installing the MCR first, and then
running Homer.exe? If so, that may be a good troubleshooting step that can
help us figure out how to get Homer installed on the computer where you DO
have MATLAB.

Daniel

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Hongyu Yang <yanghy720 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Daniel, I tried HomER.m in matlab, but got error reports in the
> command window. I think maybe different versions of matlab induced this
> problem, so I dicided to use MCR in my computer. Actually I installed it,
> and when I open the icon of HOMer, it said:
>
> Warning: C:\....Homer\v71\toolbox\local\pathdef.m not found. Toolbox path
> cache is not being used. Type help toolbox_path_cache for more info.
> However, I can not type any words in the command window. What should I do?
>
> Thanks,
> Hongyu
>
> 2011/2/7 Daniel Kessler <kesslerd at umich.edu>
>
> Hello Hongyu,
>>     I might be able to offer some guidance. The instructions you're
>> reading are for using Homer *without *MATLAB (as a sort of stand alone).
>>
>> MCR is the MATLAB component runtime (more info here:
>> http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/compiler/f12-999353.html#bsfj64t-1)
>>
>> This enables you to run precompiled MATLAB programs on computers that
>> don't have MATLAB.
>>
>> It sounds like you already have MATLAB on the computer you're using, so
>> you can skip most of this. The Homer download page has options for HomER.exe
>> and HomER.m. If you're comfortable with MATLAB, you'll actually want to get
>> the HomER.m download. Once you have that, unzip the file, and add the
>> unzipped directory (and all of its subfolders/files) to your active path in
>> MATLAB, then run Homer.m and this should get you what you need.
>>
>> If you *do *want to run Homer as a stand alone executable with the MCR
>> rather than via MATLAB, let me know and I can try to walk you through
>> setting that up.
>>
>> Best of luck,
>> Daniel
>>
>>   On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Hongyu Yang <yanghy720 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>   Hello Homer list,
>>>
>>> I am a beginner of Homer, have a basic question about MCRinstaller. From
>>> the documation folder I found these words:
>>>
>>> To install the MCR, extract all the files from the ZIP archive into a new
>>> directory. (You've probably at least opened the ZIP file, or you wouldn't
>>> be reading these directions.) Let's call this directory the MCR_ROOT. In
>>> the directions below, I will refer to <MCR_ROOT>. As you are following
>>> the
>>> directions, replace this string with the actual path to the directory you
>>> extracted the ZIP archive into.
>>> Windows:
>>> * Put <MCR_ROOT>/bin/win32 and  <MCR_ROOT>/sys/os/win32 (in that order)
>>> on
>>> your PATH environment variable.
>>>
>>> I do not know MCR, so I can not understand this. In Matlab I can add
>>> path, however I really do
>>> not know how to add this path into environment variable in MCR folder.
>>> Can you tell me with plain words how I can do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Hongyu

>>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it
> [...]
>>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the

kesslerd at umich.edu
+1 734.418.8134