[Homer-users] HRF Plot

David Boas dboas at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 22 10:29:47 EDT 2013

Another thing to check for is whether any stim trials were included. You
will get a blank HRF if there are no stim marks indicating the onset of
a stimulus.

When I look at your data, in fact the motion artifact detection function
has marked the whole data set as a motion artifact and as a result has
excluded all of your stim marks. The data looks very noisy, but perhaps
that is deceiving because it seems you put OD into the d matrix in the
.nirs file rather than intensity. Your raw data has negative values.
Since it is not possible to have a negative intensity of light, Homer2
will misbehave when trying to convert negative intensities of light to a
change in OD.

Steps to try:
1) put intensity into the d matrix in the nirs file, not OD.
2) change the amp thresh on the motion artifact detection function.
3) set a low pass filter to 0.5 Hz for smooth out the noise more.