[Homer-users] Diffusion approximation for small distance (3mm)

Huppert, Ted huppertt at upmc.edu
Thu Feb 13 07:31:02 EST 2014

George-

There are several Monte Carlo programs for radiative transport or finite element models.  For example, the homer2 download includes tMCimg, mmc, mcextreme  (cuda) codes from MGH and Qiaqian Fang's work as part of "atlasviewer".  There are also FEM models like NIRFAST from Hamid Deghani's lab at Dartmouth.  There are several other programs out there (sorry to those I left off this short list).  If you are worried about short distance, probably a RTE equation is best (vs DA) but I'm not sure how much a difference that really makes at 16mm (that is pretty far in terms of scattering lengths).

Theodore Huppert, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept of Radiology and Bioengineering
University of Pittsburgh