[Homer-users] Low pass filter error

Grace Giles grace.giles at tufts.edu
Tue Mar 11 15:57:02 EDT 2014

Good afternoon,

I am using NIRS data obtained from the Biopac fNIRS system and when I
attempt to enter filters in HomER (i.e. 0.00 high pass and 0.5, 1 or 2 low
pass) I get the error message "Filter parameters exceed Nyquist frequency."

Biopac's sampling frequency is set at 2 Hz, which I believe according to
Nyquist's Theorem means that I can only look at signals as fast as 1 Hz,
but I am not sure why a filter of 1 is a violation.

Has anyone else using Biopac come across this issue? Any insight would be
greatly appreciated. I am using HomER to analyze my data for the first
time, so still fairly new.

Grace Giles
PhD Candidate
Nutrition and Behavior Lab