[Homer-users] Units of HbO, HbR and HbT

David Boas dboas at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 25 09:24:00 EDT 2014

Homer2 gives it in units of micro Molar.
I don’t know what Shimadzu does.

I like the convention of presenting the concentration changes in units of [concentration length],  [mM mm] is often used in the literature (milliMolar millimeter). This convention is used in recognition that the partial path length of light through the region of brain activation needs to be approximated and thus is not necessarily accurately known.

Homer uses assumed path lengths or path lengths provided by the users in the hmrOD2Conc function. The default path length factors are 6 for each wavelength and this is multiplied by the source-detector separation in converting from OD to concentration units.

If I had to guess, I would assume that Shimadzu is using the [mM mm] units. If you divide Shimadzu’s 0.1 by a path length of 30mm x 6 where 30 mm is a typical separation and 6 a typical path length factor, then you get ~1 microMolar which is of the same order of magnitude as Homer.