[Homer-users] Multimodal neuroimaging summer workshop

Huppert, Ted huppertt at upmc.edu
Wed Jan 14 11:02:22 EST 2015

Dear fNIRS users,

Each year, I teach the NIRS part of a 6-week summer course on multimodal neuroimaging (see attached flyer and below).  This is intended mainly for students and pays a stipend and housing for the duration of the course during which time you spend training in my lab.  The course is limited to 12 people.  The deadline is Jan 31st.  Each student is assigned to one imaging modality.  Although NIRS is one of the modalities and we try to give people their top choice, I can’t guarantee that you would get assigned to the NIRS group.  I usually only have 2-4 of the students so it depends on how many apply.   Successful applicants tend to be interested in multiple modality methods in general (so keep that in mind when you write the application letter).  Please contact the MNTP program directly with questions or to apply.

-Ted

———

The Multimodal Neuroimaging Training Program, coordinated by the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University, is hosting its annual 6-week summer workshop, which will provide training in multiple imaging modalities, DTI, functional MRI, PET, MEG/EEG, functional Near IR Spectroscopy and Animal Optical Imaging. This program is designed for advanced scientists (senior graduate students, medical students, post-doctoral fellows, and independent researchers) who are already engaged in neuroimaging work and are familiar with brain structure and function. Our philosophy is to build on the strengths of our trainees in one imaging modality in order to help them develop skills in new modalities and improve their ability to address important questions in modern neuroscience.

Participants will learn the principles of multiple imaging modalities, and receive hands-on experience in one imaging modality, specifically:
Basic lectures and imaging laboratory tours will allow participants to understand the importance of multiple complementary imaging modalities and to learn the basic principles and required instrumentation for multiple imaging modalities.

To gain further research experience, participants will spend five weeks in one imaging modality lab performing a team project. The choice of lab will be determined by the Steering Committee by considering the trainees’ desire, background, and the number of trainees in a given lab. This training will include data acquisition, data processing, visualization, and interpretation. Thus, the participant will become familiar with the entire process of one imaging modality from data acquisition to interpretation.

To demonstrate the synergy of multimodal neuroimaging, we host an annual topical symposium.
Participation in the summer workshop is made by completing an application online. Participants in this workshop (based upon eligibility and VISA status, and allow ability to receive any funds or support from the program), will receive an allowance to cover meals and other education-related expenses, housing in a double-occupancy dormitory on campus, partial funds to help defray the cost of travel and other related expenses. Please note that funding is limited to 12 recipients.

Application deadline: January 31, 2015.

  *

Theodore Huppert, PhD
Associate Professor
Departments of Radiology and Bioengineering
Center for Neural Basis of Cognition
University of Pittsburgh
Email: huppertt at upmc.edu
Phone: (412) 647-8459

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"-  Einstein