[Homer-users] Question regarding baseline subtraction and neutral cue subtraction

Jared Dempsey dempsey at recoveryscience.org
Thu Jul 23 10:18:50 EDT 2015

All:

I've talked to many different sources and can't really get an answer on this one.  I'm hoping that the group of individuals using fNIR technology may have some opinions.  It involves the use of cue-baseline subtraction and neutral cue subtraction.  Here goes...

I'm studying prefrontal cortex activation to a specific cue (EXP).  I also randomly present a neutral cue (NEUT).  Each of my cues last 10 seconds.  There is also an intertrial period (black screen, no presentation) of 10 seconds.  For example:
*EXP____10s* *ITI____10s* *NEUT____10s*  *ITI____10s**EXP____10s* etc, etc.

So, it seems from scanning the literature on fNIR everyone is doing something a bit differently.  Also, the editors of journals have their preferred method.  Honestly, it is screaming for one of us to publish some methodology work on cue presentation and give some concrete suggestions.  I digress...  My question involves how to come to a tangible variable for my EXP cue.  Here are some of the different suggestions I have received:

1)      Take the average activation during 10s of EXP across all presentations
OR

2)      Take the average activation during EXP and subtract the average activation of 5 seconds before that specific EXP presentation.  Then average all the EXP values
OR

3)      Take the average activation during EXP and subtract the average activation of 5 seconds before that specific EXP presentation. AVERAGE ALL THESE FOR GLOBAL EXP.  Then average all of your NEUT cues, subtract the average 5 seconds before each NEUT cue. AVERAGE ALL THESE FOR GLOBAL NEUT.  Lastly, subtract your global average NEUT from your global average EXP.

I fully recognize that it depends on the study (etc., etc., etc.).  All things being equal.  How would you proceed with multiple EXP cue presentations and multiple NEUT cue presentations?

(Human study, visual/photograph presentation, Prefrontal cortex).

Thank you so much in advance for any tips you may have!!!

Best,

Jared P. Dempsey, Ph.D.
Addiction Recovery Research Institute
1001 Main Street, Suite 603