[Mne_analysis] MNE pca and SNR

Daniel Goldenholz daniel at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 18 07:19:30 EST 2008

Marina
1. The snr issue is actually a very deep one. You are telling MNE how to set
up the regularization parameter, and yes, it will change the resulting
signals. The reason that happens is that there are many more brain states
than there are MEG sensor states. (this is that "ill-posed problem" thing).
As a result, we do a pragmatic thing, which is simplify the problem and make
it solvable - we add the constraint of minimizing the current at every point
in the brain (loosely described). But when we do that, we need to make a
somewhat arbitrary choice about how much weight to give that constraint.
Because there is no simply physical interpretation of what we are doing,
physiology cannot easily guide us here. In practice, I have no suggestion. I
defer to Matti.

2. I did some reading on the subject of artifact removal a few years ago. I
haven't kept up with the literature there. But I recall reading a relatively
compelling argument against using PCA for artifact removal that Dan hinted
at. Essentially PCA does not care if it also removes real brain data along
with artifact. One possible approach suggested out there was a related
technique, called ICA. I believe someone has written a matlab toolbox for
that. But the results there are still sometimes suspicious. If you trust
SSS, that may be an extremely powerful method to removal any artifact not
coming from the head. As for eye blinks and movements - you could consider
adaptive filtering. Another possibility is to fit several dipoles at the
anatomical location of the eyes, and fit data to them, and remove them. In
my playing around with these issues very briefly, I didn't find one perfect
solution. But many papers are out there saying they did.

Hope my vagaries are mildly useful

Daniel Goldenholz MD, PhD
http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~daniel<http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/%7Edaniel>