[Mne_analysis] Comparing conditions

Christian Wienbruch Christian.Wienbruch at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Sep 29 12:52:00 EDT 2008

Well you are right - that's what we see all the time. Even if you do
subtraction of incorrect and correct response to get the ERN - which
works well for a subset of EEG sensors in fronto-central locations -
in other regions not involved  in the error processing you get
patterns difficult to interpret.

But condition comparisons or subtractions in source space must not
necessarily be more accurate - in case of minimum norm you "smear"
the currents following a mathematical minimization criterion  - "the
minimum norm".   Who says that the brain does work that way in a
particular task - minimizing the current. So it is difficult to say
what works best in terms of "best physiological model".

At that point - I usually don't care that much about the "most
accurate source localization"  any more and look what is the best
measure to differentiate (e.g. conditions, groups)  - once you've
ruled out all the trivial effects you've got a good chance to see
correlates of physiological differences. And if you can replicate
that I would call it "a reliable, valuable correlate", which does not
necessarily mean "true generator". It is rather a reasonable solution
from the infinite amount of inverse solutions, which is probably all
what we can expect in psychophysiology anyway.

Christian

Christian.Wienbruch at uni-konstanz.de