[Mne_analysis] Alignment Problems

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 5 22:17:13 EDT 2009

Hi Tom,

On Apr 5, 2009, at 8:17 PM, Thomas Wallis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble aligning MEG position and the MRI. I have
> attempted to attach some pictures to illustrate.
>
> I can get the data to the mne_analyze stage. When I check the
> viewer, the head is shown protruding through the MEG helmet.
> Consequently, the source estimates are problematic.
>
> As can be seen in the original alignment pictures
> (Alignment_Original_1 and _2), the digitizer data and head position
> information is shown far above the scalp and rotated forwards. I
> manually re-aligned the digitizer data in the mne_analyze viewer
> (see Realigned_1 and _2). I then saved the alignment as a COR-.fif
> file, and re-calculated the forward models and the inverse operator.
>
> When I load the data back into mne_analyze, the digitizer data looks
> as I aligned it, but the scalp is still protruding from the MEG
> helmet (see Realigned_Failure_1 and _2).
>
> Where have I gone wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is obviously some problem with the head position information.
Some more information is needed to go forward:

1. I am guessing from your geographical location that the data come
from a KIT MEG system. Correct?

2. Have you done this successfully before? I suspect there is some
problem in the fif conversion process. It is also possible that the
KIT MEG data formats have changed.

Best,
Matti

Matti Hamalainen, Ph.D.
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital
Building 149, 13th Street, Mailcode 149-2301
Charlestown, MA 02129-2060
USA

e-mail          msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tel             +1 617 726 0323