[Mne_analysis] EEG reference for covariance matrices

Elisabeth Fonteneau elisabeth.fonteneau at mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 16 12:33:21 EDT 2009

Dear all,

We have a question regarding the computation of covariance matrices with
EEG and MEG in MNE:

The inverse is always computed on the average reference data (for EEG).
Therefore the covariance matrices should be computed on the average
reference too. Although the inverse solution, theoretically, does not
depend on the choice of reference electrode, one has to make sure that
the leadfield, covariance matrix, and data are referenced in the same
way when performing the computations in MNE. Apparently, MNE always uses
average reference for the leadfield and the data, but not necessarily
for the covariance matrices.
This means that we have to use the option --projon when we are computing
the covariance matrices with mne_process_raw.
If we use the --projoff option, then the covariance matrices are
computed with the acquisition reference, and therefore, the inverse
solution will be incorrect.

Are we right?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Elisabeth