[Mne_analysis] source localizing frequency bands

Kanal Eliezer ekanal at cmu.edu
Wed Dec 2 14:11:02 EST 2009

Just a few thoughts...

I'm not familiar enough to comment on the DICS method, but the MNE method returns a distribution based on the provided sensor waveforms. It would seem intuitive to me that performing a restrictive (say, only alpha activity) bandpass on the sensor waveform prior to performing MNE would significantly change the topology of the waveform, and thus significantly affect how the sources are localized.

The real question being asked is whether the steps are commutative; i.e., do the following two analysis streams produce identical results:
1) bandpass, MNE
2) MNE, bandpass
My gut intuition is that they are NOT, since the first method performs the bandpass on the raw MEG data, so to speak, while the second one performs the bandpass on reconstructed data. However, I can't prove this, and it bears further investigation. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Elli Kanal