[Mne_analysis] source localizing frequency bands

Gustavo Sudre gsudre at pobox.com
Wed Dec 2 14:48:23 EST 2009

Thank you for all the responses. Elli did get to the heart of the
question, and my gut feeling said the same (i.e. that they would not
result in the same thing). It's good to see that the following answers
seem to provide explanations for it.

However, if we abstract ourselves from the details of the math behind
it, shouldn't these processes be the same? For example, let's say we
recorded raw MEG signal with a strong 10Hz component to it.

1) If I run MCE/DICS in this 10Hz activity, I should get some source
activity that caused it.
2) If I band-pass the signal to 10Hz and run MNE on it, I will get
some source activity that caused it.
3) If I run MNE on the signal prior to any filtering, band-pass the
activity in all sources estimates to 10Hz, and focus on the sources
with highest power in 10Hz.

In all 3 cases, I'm looking for the sources that caused the 10Hz
activity I see in the MEG signal. Then, shouldn't the results of all 3
methods above agree to a certain degree?

Before I end this e-mail, I realize that "abstracting from the math"
is not a luxury we can have, since they're the heart of every source
localization technique. But maybe one technique or the other would be
more in accordance with the intuition above?

Thanks,

Gus