[Mne_analysis] Forward solution and inverse operator gain for deep discrete dipoles

Andres Felipe Salazar Gomez asalazar at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 3 15:13:41 EDT 2009

Hi MNE users,

With mne_volume_source_space I got a model with 6 discrete sources, 4 in
deep brain structures (brain stem) and 2 at the cortex. After getting the
forward solution and the inverse operator I was able to find the estimates
for these 6 sources but those at the cortex seem to be two orders of
magnitude smaller, which is not what I was expecting to get.

My question is: when MNE calculates the forward solution and the inverse
operator, does it take into account how deep are the dipoles? I am
wondering if somehow the gain in the G matrix (fwd.sol.data) or the noise
covariance matrix (inv.noise_cov.data) is smaller for the cortical dipoles
and therefore that is why I am seeing this differences in magnitude. Any
idea?

Thank you very much in advance for any help regarding this issue.
Sincerely,

--
Andres F. Salazar
Research Technologist