[Mne_analysis] mne_analyze, mne_compute_raw_inverse questions

Eliezer Kanal ejk4 at pitt.edu
Wed Jun 10 17:32:29 EDT 2009

Hello folks -

A colleague and I noticed some seeming inconsistencies in how these
two programs compute waveforms on a per-label basis, and I want to see
if we can clear this up.

When using mne_compute_raw_inverse without the -labeldir switch, the
program provides output in terms of "sources per label", and provides
a waveform for each of those sources. When using the -labeldir switch,
the program provides a single waveform per label. That waveform is NOT
the average of all sources in the first method, as can be seen by
simply exporting with and without the switch, and averaging the
results of the second and comparing it to the first.

When using mne_analyze, waveforms are obtained using the timecourse
manager, which seems to compute the values on a per-voxel basis, with
multiple options as to how the voxels can be combined (averaging,
maximum, etc.). A cursory examination shows that the timecourse
created using this model is different again from either of the above
two methods.

I was wondering if one of the developers could explain the difference
between these three methods of acquiring an ROI timecourse using a
label. Thanks in advance -

Sincerely,
Eliezer Kanal