[Mne_analysis] Advantages of using "average EEG reference" in mne_browse_raw?

Andres Felipe Salazar Gomez asalazar at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 5 17:18:28 EST 2009

Hi MNE users,

This might sound a very naive question but I will ask it anyway since I
want to have it clear in order to avoid affecting all my analysis:

When calculating the average signals in mne_browse_raw or mne_process_raw
I have the option of turning off the projection (usually the average EEG
reference). The basic idea of an average EEG reference seems to be a
reasonable thing to do. Nevertheless, doing this changes, sometimes very
drastically, the waveforms.

How strong would anyone recommend me to use the average EEG reference?
Is there any situation in which using the average EEG reference is not the
appropriate path to follow?

Thank you very much for your collaboration,

--
Andres F. Salazar
Research Technologist
asalazar at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu