[Mne_analysis] Advantages of using "average EEG reference" in mne_browse_raw?

Yury Petrov y.petrov at neu.edu
Thu Mar 5 17:40:26 EST 2009

Hi Andres,

In physics the reference point for electric potentials is usually
chosen to be in the infinity, which is a nice choice, because it is
unique and makes sense otherwise. However, choosing reference point on
the head surface is necessary to remove electrical environmental noise
from EEG. To simplify matters, let's assume that EEG activity recorded
on the scalp reflects only the neuronal activity in the (small)
underlying part of cortex. By using referencing you effectively
compare the activity under a given electrode with activity elsewhere
in cortex. What is better for your purpose: to compare it with average
cortical activity, or with cortical activity in the vicinity of your
reference electrode(s)? It's up to you to decide, really. In practical
terms, referencing to one or two electrodes means that signal on
nearby electrodes will be weaker and, thus, less informative than on
remote electrodes. Also, keep in mind that the particular choice of
reference is immaterial for source localization: the result will be
the same.

Best,
Yury