[Mne_analysis] vertex # mismatch in mne_analyze

Daniel G. Wakeman dgwakeman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 04:10:18 EDT 2010

Hi Akiko,

It is difficult to tell from the information you provided, but I
suspect this is a harmless consequence of your forward model settings
and the zoom of your display. I assume that you have used some
downsampling to generate your forward model (either --ico or --grid).
This downsampling means that there isn't a vertex in your forward
model for every point in the inflated/white surface. Because of this
when, you click on a vertex on the inflated surface, MNE will
interpolate this to the nearest vertex in your downsampled forward
model. This is why the 'Amplitude at vertex ...' can conflict with
the number you enter. Furthermore, the surface has hundreds of
thousands of points the likely reason that when you clicked on the
surface a different value came up was that you were actually clicking
on a slightly different vertex.

The easiest way to test this is to zoom in very close so you can see
all the lines from the vertex in question (there should be 5-7 lines
coming from the point in the center these show the nearest points to
this point).
In Labels menu select clear marked vertices.
type in the vertex number that you previously saw as 'vert: ... value
(dSPM): ...'
Now click on the point where all those lines intersect: The value
should not have changed.