[Mne_analysis] Source points omitted with mne_forward_solution

Andres Felipe Salazar Gomez asalazar at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 25 15:36:27 EST 2010

Hi MNE users,

I am getting some source points omitted when running mne_forward_model and
I was wondering if anyone knows the possible reasons for this to be
happening. I run the mne_watershead_bem to get the BEM model but also used
seglab to get a inner_skull.tri file.

Somehow the sources are crossing the inner_skull boundary. Where do you
recommend me to focus in order to understand what really is causing this
problem?  In my further analysis I will need the sources neighbors so
missing sources is a problem.

- Here is the code:

mne_forward_solution --src
$SUBJECTS_DIR/$SUBJECT/bem/structural_mri-ico-5-src.fif --mri
$SUBJECTS_DIR/$SUBJECT/mri/T1-neuromag/sets/COR-asalazar-090406-142236.fif
--meas $SUBJECTS_DIR/$SUBJECT/eeg_mri/base/dec_base_raw-ave.fif --bem
$SUBJECTS_DIR/$SUBJECT/bem/structural_mri-5120-5120-5120-bem-sol.fif --fwd
dec_base_raw-ave-ico-5-fwd.fif --eeg --mindist 5 --fixed

- I am getting this 30 sources omitted:

Source spaces are in head coordinates.
Checking that the sources are inside the inner skull and at least    5.0
mm away (will take a few...)
14 source space points omitted because they are outside the inner skull
surface.
715 source space points omitted because of the    5.0-mm distance limit.
16 source space points omitted because they are outside the inner skull
surface.
788 source space points omitted because of the    5.0-mm distance limit.
Thank you for waiting.

Thank you in advance for any tips or ideas,

--
Andres F. Salazar
Research Technologist
asalazar at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu