[Mne_analysis] Signal processing

Ghuman, Avniel (NIH/NIMH) [F] ghumana at mail.nih.gov
Thu Jan 21 15:25:30 EST 2010

Hi Linda,

In fact, you almost certainly want to first do artifact rejection then filter, then the last two the order makes no difference.  The reason being that filters take time to settle.  If you average first, you will have large filter artifacts at the beginning and ends of each trial (you would much rather put these artifacts on the beginning and ends of each run and then just leave extra time in the beginning and ends of runs that you do not analyze).  There are filter tricks that can be done to minimize these edge effects, but in my experience the mne stream does leave substantial filter artifacts at the beginning and ends of runs.  You would have to write your own filter (which you may have already done) if you want to avoid these.

Avniel