[Mne_analysis] Signal processing

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 21 17:06:03 EST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 3:25 PM, Ghuman, Avniel (NIH/NIMH) [F] wrote:

> Hi Linda,
>
> In fact, you almost certainly want to first do artifact rejection
> then filter, then the last two the order makes no difference.  The
> reason being that filters take time to settle.  If you average
> first, you will have large filter artifacts at the beginning and
> ends of each trial (you would much rather put these artifacts on the
> beginning and ends of each run and then just leave extra time in the
> beginning and ends of runs that you do not analyze).  There are
> filter tricks that can be done to minimize these edge effects, but
> in my experience the mne stream does leave substantial filter
> artifacts at the beginning and ends of runs.  You would have to
> write your own filter (which you may have already done) if you want
> to avoid these.

Hi Linda,

Just to clarify: if there is a significant dc offset in the data,
there is, indeed, ringing in the mne_browse_raw/mne_process_raw
filters in the beginning and possibly at the end of the runs but *not*
for each trial. Usually this is no big concern.

MNE filters first and then check for artifacts. The reasoning for this
is that the purpose of a filter is to reject noise which you do not
want to mistake for an artifact because it will be removed by the
filter anyways.

- Matti

---------

Matti Hamalainen, Ph.D.
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital

msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu