[Mne_analysis] vertices in STC and source files

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 1 13:26:17 EDT 2010

Hi Ricky,
   The original freesurfer surface has over a 100k vertices and are
decimated when setting up the source space for calculating the
lead-field and the MNE. Its described in section 3.5 of the MNE manual
version 2.7. When this decimation is done topology of a recursively
subdivided icosahedron by a factor of 5, one ends up with 10242 sources
per hemisphere.

The stc files have the original vertex number information in them. The
easiest way to make a label from an stc file is to view it on mne_analyze
and draw it using a mouse (see section 7.13.4 of the manual). Alternately
you could read the stc file into MATLAB using mne_read_stc_file() and work
with it. Freesurfer's write_label() MATLAB function would then be useful.

Regards,
Hari

On Thu, July 1, 2010 1:03 pm, rsachdev at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are generally over 100,000 vertices in the source fif file and there
> are always 10242 vertices in a stc file.  Why is there always a fixed
> amount in the stc and if I was interested in translating the stc vertex to
> the original source so that I could create a label file, how would I do
> that?
>
> Thank you,
> -Ricky

Hari Bharadwaj