[Mne_analysis] ssp

Kanal Eliezer ekanal at cmu.edu
Wed Jun 30 10:00:42 EDT 2010

You want to use as much data as you can, and the data should be as accurate a representation of the noise as possible. SSP, as described in the 1997 Uusitalo paper, works by defining a projection matrix consisting of all the noise in your data and then projecting that noise out. The more accurately your noise is represented in the projection matrix, the better a job SSP will do in de-noising your data. In almost all cases, I think, you're better off with more data. As to the minimum, I don't know of a definitive answer to that, but in our lab we've used data snippets as short as 30 seconds. Granted, at 1kHz, that's still 30,000 data points, but its not a lot of data relative to a 45-minute study.

Hope that helps -

Elli

Eliezer Kanal, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA