[Mne_analysis] MNE graphics error

Mark J. Pearrow mjp at mit.edu
Wed May 26 20:51:01 EDT 2010

Hi Greg,

This might be an issue with tksurfer that has to do with the absence of some shared libraries that are provided with the NVIDIA proprietary graphics driver for Linux. If your system has an NVIDIA card, just download and install the drivers. You should then be able to see the entire inflated surface. This will work via NX, VNC or the like, or even X11 assuming you've properly forwarded your X11 over ssh (via ssh -X <hostname>)

Even if the remote system does not have an NVIDIA graphics card, you can still install the libraries by downloading the current driver and running it with the -x flag. This will extract the files without installing them. Then copy the files into /usr/lib/ and /usr/lib32 (if needed) then run ldconfig -v to tell the system loader about the new libs.

At least, this is what I do; my systems all run Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit and none of them have NVIDIA hardware.

The "could not open display:" errors sound like X11 not being forwarded.

mjp