[Mne_analysis] Controlling Number of Epochs in an Average?

Olaf Hauk Olaf.Hauk at mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 15:38:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

I assume the easiest way is via a custom event list, as you suggest.

However, different numbers of epochs may not always be a problem. When analysing surface MEG data or signed source estimates, different numbers of epochs may result in different variances, but it won't bias the means. If you compute intensities (e.g. unsigned MNEs) or root-mean-squares (e.g. to combined pairs of gradiometers), then different noise levels may result in different means. This can partially be corrected by baseline-correcting unsigned source estimates or RMS curves (this is briefly discussed at the bottom of http://imaging.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/meg/SensorSpm).<http://imaging.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/meg/SensorSpm%29.> It would be a shame if you had to throw away 80% of your data.

Olaf