[Mne_analysis] how to see the recording time of split files

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 30 16:19:57 EDT 2011

Hi!

On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Alexandre Gramfort wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could you give more details on how you split the files and if you
> applied some kind
> of processing like filtering for example?
>
> you could certainly look at the file length from matlab or python but I think
> mne_browse_raw show this info in the gui

mne_browse_raw will show the starting times correctly if "Keep initial skip" is on in the file opening dialog.

In Matlab, you can do

>> r = fiff_setup_read_raw('test_raw.fif');
Opening raw data file test_raw.fif...
	Read a total of 4 projection items:
		PCA-v1 (1 x 102) idle
		PCA-v2 (1 x 102) idle
		PCA-v3 (1 x 102) idle
		Average EEG reference (1 x 60) idle
	Range : 25800 ... 59799  =     42.956 ...    99.563 secs
Ready.

r =

           fid: -1
          info: [1x1 struct]
    first_samp: 25800
     last_samp: 59799
          cals: [1x376 double]
        rawdir: [1x17 struct]
          proj: []
          comp: []

>> r = fiff_setup_read_raw('test-1_raw.fif');
Opening raw data file test-1_raw.fif...
	Read a total of 4 projection items:
		PCA-v1 (1 x 102) idle
		PCA-v2 (1 x 102) idle
		PCA-v3 (1 x 102) idle
		Average EEG reference (1 x 60) idle
	Range : 59800 ... 93799  =     99.565 ...   156.172 secs
Ready.

r =

           fid: -1
          info: [1x1 struct]
    first_samp: 59800
     last_samp: 93799
          cals: [1x376 double]
        rawdir: [1x17 struct]
          proj: []
          comp: []

As you can see the first_samp and last_samp members of the structure returned by fiff_setup_read_raw indicate the timing.

I hope this helps.

- Matti