[Mne_analysis] troubleshooting mislocalization

Matt Panichello panichem at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 15 16:50:00 EST 2011

Hi All,

The sources for one of my subjects seem to have been mislocalized. This
isn't so surprising, since while we were recording this subject, hpi failed
several times, even after taking him out and doing redigitization. We ended
up redigitizing the subject one last time after he finished the experiment,
then recording his MEG very briefly (~10 seconds). The assumption was that
the hpi position during this brief run should be similar to that during the
actual experiment.

Afterwards, I substituted the hpi coordinates from the brief run into his
actual experimental fif files, and analyzed him like the rest of the
subjects. Looking at his data in mne_analyze, he shows a coherent response
to our visual stimuli ~100 ms after presentation(attached). But the
response is spread out across dorsal areas rather than localized in V1.

I've tried adjusting his coordinate alignment for the best fit possible,
but the results don't change much. Are there any other stages that might be
worth adjusting to see if the fit improves?

I'm not expecting much, since I guess most of the damage was done at
recording, but it seems worth a try.

Thanks,

Matt