[Mne_analysis] Cortical patches

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 28 16:22:29 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Jun 28, 2011, at 4:10 PM, obregon at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu wrote:

> Hi Matti,
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. I already tried overlaying the .w files
> created with mne_add_patch_info on the WM surface using mne_analyze, but I
> don't know how to interpret the output (my basic understanding about these
> type of files was that they merely contained the patch area information,
> complementary to the .fif files created with the --srcp option, which I
> thought were the ones included the most info.). When I overlay the .w
> files on the WM surface, my surface suddenly gets completely filled in
> with color and there are almost no (if there are any) fluctuations with
> respect to the color scale. I've played around with the threshold but
> can't notice any change.

There are three pairs of w files produced, they contain one of the following in their names:

patches			These contain a colored picture of the patches. Each patch will be shown with a random color.
rad				These are the radiuses of the patches.
dev				These are the surface normal standard deviations within a patch.

> Regarding your other answer, if I invoke mne_add_patch_info without the
> --dist option and with an ico-4 source space as input, what will be the
> resulting geometry of my patches? How can I find out about the way in
> which vertices are being assigned to the different, non-overlapping
> patches? i.e., if there are two adjacent patches, how will the vertices on
> their common boundary be assigned to one or the other?

Conceptually, the vertices are not on the boundary, the boundary is between the vertices. All vertices in a patch share the same closest vertex among those belonging to the ico-4 source space.

- Matti

---------

Matti Hamalainen, Ph.D.
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital

msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu