[Mne_analysis] importing EGI Net Station EEG data into MNE

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:24:46 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I have been improving mne_edf2fiff and have tested the changes in an off-line discussion with Jeff. I can soon post precise information on how to proceed.

BTW, I think the EDF route is quite a reliable option.

- Matti

On Nov 4, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Alexandre Gramfort wrote:

> Dear Jeff,
>
> I am really sorry but I've never worked with EGI data so I cannot really
> help more on this.
>
> I know that Matti has recently worked to improve the mne_edf2fif command.
>
> Hari in CC might also have some experience with this.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Jeff Eriksen <eriksenj at ohsu.edu> wrote:
>> Alex,
>>
>> Looking at mne_ex_read_write_raw, perhaps I am getting an inkling of what
>> to do now. I am confused by the use of "raw" in this script and indeed the
>> whole manual. What does "raw" mean? My definition would be just a 2D array
>> of EEG with no other information. But it appears that this example reads
>> and writes to fif files, so I will just guess that these routines will
>> work for me. Assuming I already have my EEG array in memory, I would then
>> use the following to write the data to a fif file: (??)
>>
>> [outfid,cals] = fiff_start_writing_raw(outfile,raw.info,picks);
>>      fiff_write_int(outfid,FIFF.FIFF_FIRST_SAMPLE,first);
>>    fiff_write_raw_buffer(outfid,data,cals);
>> fiff_finish_writing_raw(outfid);
>>
>> It appears that I will also need to define picks, using
>>
>>        picks =
>> fiff_pick_types(raw.info,want_meg,want_eeg,want_stim,include,raw.info.bads)
>> ;
>>
>> I will read up on these individual routines to see it they do what I
>> expect.
>>

>> Let me know if I am on the right track,
>> -Jeff
>>

>> On 10/20/11 6:33 AM, "Alexandre Gramfort" <gramfort at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jeff,

>>> you can do such a conversion with the matlab toolbox available at:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-matlab
>>>
>>> a good starting example is :
>>>
>>> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-matlab/blob/master/matlab/mne_ex_read_wri
>>> te_raw.m
>>>
>>> but maybe someone has an already written script to do this.
>>>
>>> hope this helps
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>

>>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it
>>> is
>>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the
>>> e-mail
>>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance
>>> HelpLine at
>>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
>>> error
>>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
>>> properly
>>> dispose of the e-mail.

---------

Matti Hamalainen, Ph.D.
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital

msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu