[Mne_analysis] mne_surf2bem dense head problem

Dan G Wakeman dgwakeman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 21:02:25 EDT 2011

Hi Eric,

This is when the image generates very "sharp" surfaces. The typical problem is sharp "icicles" that grow up from the base of the neck (it can also happen with people that blink a lot during their MRI and have noise around the eyes). If you load the surface in freeview (or whatever app you use), you can select the vertex and likely find the area causing it to be a problem.

One slight added kink is that mne_check_surface (at least by default) stops when it reaches a single problem vertex. It does not search for more, so fixing a single problem location can require you to lather rinse repeat several times. That is why I offer solution b below. Solution a is for a single problem location.

load surface identify the location of the "problem vertex"
Next load the MRI that you are feeding seghead
Edit the location to encourage the surface to be "smoother" (this means making at least two contiguous voxels deep and across)
Save
Rerun mri seghead

load the mri that you are feeding into seghead
cut a section of the neck as far up as you like.
Fill in the two slices dorsal to it from the skin inwards with a value of 255.
Erase any noise around the eyes.
Save
Rerun mri seghead