[Mne_analysis] sLORETA

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 1 11:54:22 EDT 2011

Hi Elena,

On Thu, September 1, 2011 11:32 am, Elena Orekhova wrote:
> Dear Hari,
>
> The scaling you suggest will make the data look ‘nice’, with the same mean
> and SD in the baseline. However, if will not resolve the problem.

If the baseline has enough (handwaving) time points, then the scaling
would produce timecourses where each point is distributed as N(0,1) (in
the null) for both left and right labels and  hence  OK for statistical
comparison purposes. Also since you are dividing out the sLORETA scaling
(which is the same for all time points), it is identical to the z-scores
you get from MNE.

> According to MNE manual sLORETA scales signal to noise in some way. It
> seems that it proportionally decreases amplitude of the
> signall-of-interest if it contains more noise.  Is there a way to correct
> for this down-scaling of the signal-of-interest by the sLORETA or would it
> be more correct to use MNE?

Yes.. the sLORETA solution scales the MNE by a factor that depends on SNR
at each vertex. Thus it supresses noisy vertices a little. The MNE is the
unscaled version which is in current units (say nano Amps) and hence you
can compare the left and right directly in a physiological sense. However
the localization will be biased towards superficial sources and noisy
sources. So one other thing you could do is use dSPM or sLORETA to do the
localization/selecting labels etc.. and then use the MNE time series from
those vertices for comparison.

Regards,
Hari

Hari Bharadwaj