[Mne_analysis] mne_make_movie cannot find data set

Matti Hamalainen msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 23 14:24:12 EDT 2012

Jeff,

Briefly,

1. mne_make_movie can only produce movies from averaged evoked response data

2. mne_compute_raw_inverse can produce continuous raw data source estimates from a set of labels.

3. If you have trigger points defined, you can also load raw data to mne_analyze and view source estimates at individual epochs.

4. If you load the raw data to mne_browse_raw, you can start mne_analyze from there and interactively pick time points to show source estimates corresponding to, e.g., epileptic spikes.

The options have been hardly used in practice because most of the time researchers are interested in calculating, e.g., time-frequency representations, which leads averaging of the transformed epochs in the source space.

- Matti

On Apr 23, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Jeff Eriksen wrote:

> Please see below
> -Jeff
>
> On 4/23/12 10:27 AM, "Alexandre Gramfort" <gramfort at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>> I will explore these two suggestions. I do find it odd that apparently
>>> MNE
>>> has no straightforward path to analyze unaveraged data.
>>
>> you can generate stc files from raw data with mne_compute_raw_inverse
>> but you will need to provide labels.
>
> If I supplied labels, which I understand are somewhat like ROIs, are you
> sure I would not run into the same problem I did with mne-make-movie? I
> thought mne-compute-raw-inverse was very similar to mne_make_movie?
>

>>> I thought some
>>> people used it for epilepsy analysis?
>>
>> People do at the martinos but I don't know how they work.
>
> Can anyone out there put me in touch with these people please? My current
> project involves autism and ADHD, but epilepsy application is another one
> of my interests. All of these involve unaveraged EEG.
>

>>> I am perfectly happy to use Matlab at this point (no experience with
>>> Python - is there a version for Macintosh?). I tried initially to use
>>> Matlab to import my EEG data but that was very difficult, even with
>>> help,
>>> and I was encouraged to use mne_edf2fiff instead.
>>
>> http://martinos.org/mne/python_tutorial.html
>>
>> on a mac I recommend you install EPD (free with an academic license)
>> or EPD free
>>
>> http://www.enthought.com/products/epd.php
>> http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php
>>
>> then you can you should be able to install MNE following the instructions
>> at:
>>
>> https://github.com/mne-tools/mne-python/blob/master/README.rst
>>
>> then you can adapt the example for your own data.
>>
>> hope this helps
>>
>> Alex

>> is
>> e-mail
>> HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
>> error
>> properly
>> dispose of the e-mail.

---------

Matti Hamalainen, Ph.D.
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital

msh at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu