[Mne_analysis] mne or dspm for comparing evoked amplitude between subjects

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 12 23:34:12 EST 2012

Hi Matt,
   In my opinion, for a fixed ROI, either would be fine if the
distributions are made similar for some baseline period across
subjects. For instance, if you express each subject's evoked response
in the ROI (dSPM or MNE) in terms of z-scores relative to the baseline
period i.e. something to the effect of
     z(t) = (x(t) - mean(x(baseline)))/std(x(baseline))
then since all subjects are similar in the baseline period (i.e mean 0,
variance 1), the peaks in the trial period can be compared across groups
of subjects.

The preference for dSPM over MNE in my mind primarily comes from the dSPM
enabling a better ROI selection (if it is based on MEG data, rather than
apriori) since localization is typically less biased.

Regards,
Hari

On Wed, December 12, 2012 6:43 pm, Matthew Panichello wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'd like to extract the peak evoked amplitude within a particular ROI
> for each of my subjects, then test if this value differs between two
> subgroups of the subjects.
>
> I'm vaguely aware that normalization can be important when comparing
> certain statistics between subjects, although I'm not entirely certain
> when this is appropriate. I have a hunch it may be applicable now, though.
>
> As I understand it, dspm is essentially noise-normalized mne. Is it more
> appropriate to use dspm, rather than mne, when comparing peak response
> amplitude between subjects?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Matthew Panichello