[Mne_analysis] visualizing differences between conditions in source space

Matthew Panichello panichem at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 13 11:36:09 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

I would like to create a signed dSPM map visualizing the difference
between two trial types (within subjects).

The steps seem pretty straightforward:
1) create difference waves for each subject using xplotter.
2) compute the forward solution, inverse operator, and signed dSPM stc
file for each subject based on these difference waves.
3) average the resulting stc files across subjects and load in mne_analyze

However, I'm not sure about the proper computation to perform to create
the difference waves in xplotter. I believe the proper calculation is either
Condition1 - Condition2
or
abs(Condition1) - abs(Condition2)

I'm leaning towards the latter. I reasoned that if I just took the
simple difference, the sign of the difference wave wouldn't consistently
correspond to a greater Condition1 or Condition2 deflection. A large,
negative Condition1 deflection and a smaller negative Condition2
deflection at the same time points would produce a positive difference
wave, for example. By taking absolute value, positive values should
consistently reflect greater Cond1 deflections and negative values
should reflect greater Cond2 deflection.

This method rests on the assumption, though, that greater deflection
from baseline always equals greater underlying neural response. I'm not
sure if this is the case (for example, what to make of a
positive-directed deflection that occurs completely below baseline?).

Could anyone please clarify if creating difference waves and then
projecting these into source space is indeed a reasonable method for
comparing conditions, and, if so, which calculation is more appropriate?

Thank you,

Matt