[Mne_analysis] capping number of trials per condition in -gave.fif using mne_process_raw

Matthew Panichello panichem at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 23 10:05:05 EDT 2012

Hello,

I'm using mne_process_raw to create grandaveraged data for each
individual subject. Each subject's data were collected over five runs
and so are saved in 5 raw fiff files.

The task included 5 different trial types presented in a mixed-event
design. I'd like to set a cap on the number of trials per condition,
such that even if a subject completed 90 trials of Condition #1 over the
5 runs, for example, only the first 75 will be saved in his grandaverage
file.

I tried to implement this by writing a matlab script that reads the
event files for each run and removes events from each condition until
the cap is met. But, for some subjects, this results in a completely
empty event file for run 5 (the script begins with the last run),
causing mne_process_raw to exit when I actually try to produce the average.

Is anyone aware of a simpler way to control the number of trials used to
compute the grandaverage using mne_process_raw?

Also, while I was working on this, I noticed the following window output
by process_raw:
"filter: .5 .... 120 Hz  bins : 6 .... 1636 of 4097 hpw : 3 lpw : 34
Highpass filter will work as specified
filter: 0 .... 40 Hz  bins : 0 .... 545 of 4097 hpw : 3 lpw : 34
Highpass filter will work as specified"

I specify a 120 Hz lp filter and a .5 Hz hp filter in my input to
process_raw, so I was surprised to see what seems to be an additional 40
Hz lp filter being applied. Can anyone comment on why this might be?

Thanks,

Matt