[Mne_analysis] questions

dgw dgwakeman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:13:53 EDT 2012

Hi Jeff,

We are getting closer. Please make sure to send your emails to the list
so that everyone can learn (and help)

Dan G. Wakeman wrote:

> Hi Matti,
>
> I followed your instructions as follows:
>
> Changed time scales to 4-253 ms to avoid flat segments at begin and end
> of EEG
> Had already done 1-100 Hz bandpass filtering
> Marked VREF as bad
> Recalculated everything except electrode alignment
Does this mean you recalculated the noise covariance matrix and inverse
solution?

There are some examples (particularly on the webpage www.martinos.org/mne )
> 2. Alex G suggested I use ico5, not ico3. Other than higher spatial
> resolution, that should not be cuasing the problems I see (?)
Well, it is theoretically possible. ico 3 is very bad for any
orientation constraints (which i believe you indicated you were using in
an earlier e-mail). It is ok, to user for loose/no orientation
constraint, although very misleading. I would never recommend using
anything less than ico 5, and even with ico 5 I recommend using the
loose variable orientation constraints.
> 3. Alex also suggested I use a diagonal noise-cov matrix – how would I
> go about that? If I knew what to put in it, I suppose I could create and
> save using Matlab toolbox
there is the --diagnoise option in mne_do_inverse_operator
> 4. Is there any way to confirm that channel 257 has indeed been
> eliminated in the averaging and covariance calculation?
Well, did you check the output when re-running the commands. Did it talk
about the bad channels detected? It is also possible to check with the
MATLAB toolbox.
> 5. To that end, I have not been able to view the average EEG – the
> window is blank. Someone suggested I create a new layout, but why can't
> the software see the layouts I already created for the raw EEG?
It should be able to see them, if you put them in the right directory as
described in the manual. You should be able to select it using Adjust ->
Select trace layout...

Are you using a noise covariance matrix?
What exact command did you use to generate it?
How does the time period you used to generate your noise covariance
relate to the time period you are trying to invert?
Did you make sure that --projon was used when generating your noise
covariance matrix?