[Mne_analysis] No Isotrak data found in (raw .fif file)

Krieger, Donald N. kriegerd at upmc.edu
Thu Mar 8 10:43:12 EST 2012

Hi Steve,

There are two pieces to this problem.  If the tags are truly missing from the file, that means that you are lacking key information that you need for the thumb-fingered frameless stereotaxis that we use to register the MEG measures with the volunteer's brain.  (1) If the data collected from this volunteer was done in a single acquisition run so that it's all in a single file, it may well be impossible to recover the necessary information.  If the data was collected in more than one run and therefore resides in more than one file, you can in theory use the localization information from one of the files which contains it for the one which does not.  That information will necessarily have less reliability for the file which lacks it, but it's probably pretty close.

If the former is the case, i.e. the data is in a single file, then you lack critical information and it's lost.  You can still use the data for sensor space analysis but not for source space since you lack registration information. (2) If the latter is the case, i.e. the data is in multiple files and at least one of them contains the localization info, there's likely a way to trick mne or whatever other analysis tool you're using to use the localization from one file while analyzing the other.  Alternatively you may have to write something which creates a new .fif using the data from one file and the localization info from another.  It's a sure thing that Matti or someone in his group can point you in the right direction for that.

P.S. I looked at the show_fiff output that you included and it does appear that the subject006 data lacks the localization stuff.  Somebody likely pushed the wrong button when going through the HPCI digitization.  But try show_fiff -v just to be sure that you're not missing something.  That will show not only the tag names but what their values are.

Don

Don Krieger, Ph.D., D.ABNM
Department of Neurological Surgery
University of Pittsburgh