[Mne_analysis] forward model having only segmentation files

dgw dgwakeman at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:47:26 EDT 2012

Hi Anton,

Well mri_watershed is not designed to deal with segmented data. You need
to trick it.

tokariev at mappi.helsinki.fi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to create surfaces for BEM. I have done next steps:
>
> 1. I have raw MRI images (DICOM). I did segmentation of inner/outer
> skull and outer skin manually. After this, I changed the original MRI
> images to segmented volumes (to keep all DICOM headers). In other words,
> I got MRI images, where instead of original MRI I put inner skull
> segmentation (also I have saved files like that to outer skull and outer
> skin). Each value of the segmented volume were set to 110.
>
> 2. I used mri_convert to get from 3 sets of images in DICOM format,
> those contain segmentations, volumes in .mgz format. So I got
> inner_skull.mgz, outer_skull.mgz and outer_skin.mgz. I put these files
> to the folder: .../freesurfer/subjects/subject/mri/orig
Are these binarized masks? Are they masked at all?

Regardless, you need to put a raw MRI volume saved as 001.mgz in
/subjects/subject/mri/orig/001.mgz and run autorecon1 (check freesurfer
wiki for details).

> Now I am trying to get surfaces with a help of the command
> 'mri_watershed -surf'. I am using it like this: mri_watershed -surf
> inner_skull.mgz inner_skull_surf... But the program fails to create
> surfaces. What I am doing wrong on this stage? Could anyone give an advise?
First run the above, and let me know what the files are then we can look
into the subsequent steps (this is a non-standard hack I developed), so
it will take some time to work through.