[Mne_analysis] cortical ribbon constrained 3d source space

octavian lie octavian.lie at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 10:42:21 EST 2012

Dear Matti,

I am working with an ecog based BEM and need to define the source space.
You are right, the differences between the cortical ribbon and surface are
small. What I want to do in the end is to create a source space consisting
of a denser grid for the cortical ribbon (or surface, as you pointed out),
and sparser (reduced, kind of adaptive) for the rest of the brain volume
(deep nuclei, wm).

Can this be done, such as running the mne_volume_source_space twice, with
boundaries, say ?h.pial, and ?h.white with denser and sparser grid,
respectively, then removing the inner source layer generated with ?h.pial?
Alternatively, do you see combining the output of the mne_make_source_space
with pial surfaces (dense), and the mne_volume_source_space with ?h.white
(sparse)?

Another related question, do I have to combine the lh and rh boundary
surfaces (such as pial or white) when using mne_volume_source_space, or do
I run the command twice for each side?
Thank you very much,

Octavian