[Mne_analysis] Importing EEGLAB or FieldTrip data to .fif

Alexandre Gramfort gramfort at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 3 16:45:56 EDT 2012

hi Stephen,

EEGLAB has very likely lost the measurement info details required
for source reconstruction. What I would do is convert the original
EEG data to fif with one of the mne file converter (I don't know what
was the original file format) then load the raw fif file with mne-python,
then replace the content of the data of the raw object after reading
the .set file with scipy.io.loadmat and finally save the data back
to disk.

Regarding fieldtrip, due to the possible loss of the measurement info
a converter won't help. However FYI we've discussed at Biomag with
fieldtrip guys on how to write back a proper fif file from a fieldtrip
dataset and that's something they are willing to do. Maybe you can
poke them and offer your help.