[Mne_analysis] SSPs and avg ref

Ellen Lau ellenlau at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 2 21:21:45 EDT 2013

Hi,

Our group is applying SSPs to get rid of EOG artifact with EEG data. As I posted recently, we are trying to display our EEG sensor data without the average reference applied.

My question is about the interaction between the EOG SSPs and the average reference. One method we were considering was to compute the EOG SSPs on the raw data, then use the --projon tag to apply them plus the average ref in computing the evoked data, and then manually remove the average ref SSP from the evoked data structure. Will this procedure result in an evoked file that does not include any effects of the average reference, or does the average reference interact in some way with the application of the other SSPs? Sorry if this is obvious, I just have trouble conceptualizing the average reference as an SSP.

thanks,
Ellen