[Mne_analysis] SSPs and avg ref

Hari Bharadwaj hari at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 3 09:28:49 EDT 2013

Hi Candida,
    In the files saved with --projon, you would have already applied the
average reference and saved only the resulting time series.. In this
case, setting the active tag to 0 would not have any effect. To make
sure that is indeed the case, you could check if the projon-ave.fif
data looks identical with or without the active tag set to 0.

Regards,
Hari

On Wed, April 3, 2013 6:40 am, Candida Jane Maria Ustine wrote:
> [...]
> case the resulting averages looked a little different from an alternate
> option of viewing the ave.fif originally set to --projoff but manually
> checking all but the average ref projectors On in mne_browse_raw.)
>
> Best,
> Candida
>

> --
> Candida Jane Maria Ustine M.Eng.
> NeuroCognition Lab
> Department of Psychiatry - Neurosciences
> Athinoula A. Martinos Center of Biomedical Imaging
> Massachusetts General Hospital
> candida at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu

> is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the
> e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Partners
> Compliance HelpLine at http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the
> e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information,
> please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.
>
> On Apr 2, 2013, at 11:06 PM, Hari Bharadwaj wrote:
>
>> Hi Ellen,
>>   The EOG SSPs and the average reference SSP shouldn't really interact
>> in
>> anyway, except that you may get rid of some of the EOG artificat in
>> your average reference (which is not a problem, I guess). You could
>> apply them in any order and applying them multiple times shouldn't
>> change anything.
>>
>>   The average reference operator in MATLAB code would be as below if you
>> want play with some toy data in MATLAB to understand this better:
>> A = eye(Nchan) - ones(Nchan)/Nchan;
>>
>> If X is your NChan x NTime EEG data, then A*X should do the average
>> referencing. A has rank Nchan-1 where Nchan is the number of EEG
>> channels
>> that you have. This means that unless you have your reference channel as
>> one of your EEG channels (as opposed to a mastoid or nose or something
>> that's separate from the Nchan EEG channels), applying this operator
>> would
>> reduce the dimensionality of your data by 1 and if you save only the
>> result with --projon for this projector, deleting the operator from the
>> fif structure would not help you gain back that lost dimension. If you
>> really want to undo the average reference at a later point, I'd suggest
>> making an extra derivative channel that is the average of all your
>> channels and adding that channel's time series to the each of the
>> individual channel when you want to undo the average referencing.
>>
>> Hope this helps..
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hari
>>

>> On Tue, April 2, 2013 9:21 pm, Ellen Lau wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Our group is applying SSPs to get rid of EOG artifact with EEG data. As
>>> posted recently, we are trying to display our EEG sensor data without
>>> the
>>> average reference applied.
>>>
>>> My question is about the interaction between the EOG SSPs and the
>>> reference. One method we were considering was to compute the EOG SSPs
>>> on
>>> the raw data, then use the --projon tag to apply them plus the average
>>> ref
>>> in computing the evoked data, and then manually remove the average ref
>>> SSP
>>> from the evoked data structure. Will this procedure result in an evoked
>>> file that does not include any effects of the average reference, or
>>> does
>>> the average reference interact in some way with the application of the
>>> other SSPs? Sorry if this is obvious, I just have trouble
>>> conceptualizing
>>> the average reference as an SSP.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Ellen