[Mne_analysis] appropriate way to combine intrasubject dSPMs?

Martin Luessi mluessi at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 6 11:45:37 EST 2013

Hi Andy,

It seems to me that from a theoretic point of view you are right;
averaging the dSPMs is incorrect due to noise normalization. However,
that being said, I recently did a test with data that has 15 runs and
~180 epochs/run:

A) Compute forward solutions, noise cov, inverse operator, dSPM for each
run, average the dSPMs (what you are asking).

B) Create a single evoked response by averaging all epochs from all
runs, noise cov using all epochs, average the forward solutions across
runs, compute a single inverse operator, compute dSPM.

At least qualitatively the solutions obtained using A and B are almost
identical for the data I have. Maybe in situations where you have
significantly different head positions between runs it would be better
to use A, but as you said, technically it is incorrect (unless the same
noise cov and fwd operator are used for each run).

I hope this helps,

Martin

--
Martin Luessi, Ph.D.

Research Fellow

Department of Radiology
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital
Harvard Medical School
149 13th Street
Charlestown, MA 02129